The headset feels like lead, your eyelids, even heavier. The people on the line are all starting to sound like the teachers in a Peanuts cartoon, ‘Wah, wah, wah, wah, no.’ Meanwhile, you’ve already doodled the equivalent of the Sistine Chapel on your calendar and you are trying to move the clock hands forward to the end of your prospecting hours with the power of your mind.
And it’s only been 15 minutes.
The call ends and the next thing you know you’re like a jacked up squirrel sprinting after every shiny thing he sees– “Ooh! Facebook,” “Oooh, a text,” “Is that cake!”– doing everything and anything not to have to make that next call.
Prospecting can be hard, it can even be deadly boring and staying motivated is one of the biggest challenges you will face. But you have a choice: you can accept that and give into the temptation of that distracting cake, or you can make a lot of money.
There’s no way around it, prospecting is the only duplicable and predictable way to grow your business. That inevitably means getting on the phone and staying on the phone for long stretches of time. So, in the face of that inevitability, learning how and finding ways to stay motivated are key.
- Get a call partner–Whether it’s someone in your office or a satellite office, find a buddy you can coordinate prospecting time with. You tell each other when you’re about to start and then check in with each other when the time is up to share how you did. Just having someone to keep you accountable is enough to get you on the phone and then the thought of some healthy competition will keep you motivated in between.
- Team up with a colleague–Make your calls with a buddy from your office, heck, even a rival. Having someone working next to you will not only make you feel like you’re not in this alone, but each of you can keep each other energized in between calls. Plus, knowing someone is likely picking up parts of your conversation will keep you on your best game.
- Keep moving– Stand up, move around, gesture while you’re giving a pitch, smile (the caller can sense your enthusiasm, so keep it up) and act as though the person you are speaking is right there in the room with you. All of these things will keep your blood moving and your focus sharp.
- Multitask–Keep your mind active while your Mojo Power Dialer is doing its thing–write a blog for your business, answer emails, work on postcards, make a dream board or binge watch a series on Netflix–whatever it is, keep your mind moving.
- Don’t evaluate too soon – Evaluating your numbers too soon can lead to call reluctance, prospecting avoidance and a negative attitude towards prospecting. Give yourself the time needed to hone your skills, and build your prospecting pipeline, it WILL change your business.
Lastly, you can’t expect prospecting to work overnight. It’s not a silver bullet, but stick with it consistently and stay motivated! It is the only proven effective method for predictably growing your business.
Don’t just take our word for it. We’ve had the pleasure of serving North America’s top agents for over 10 years. During this time, we’ve extracted tons of information from them to share with other agents, especially those just getting started. Check out the rest of this blog for priceless tips and tricks.